Monday, June 1, 2009

first day of class


This is the first day of class in teaching technology. We have created blogs for the class to read. Hopefully this assignment is as easy as it seems. This will allow for many people to follow along with the progress in this class. I have used computers since the days of the punch cards and FORTRAN programming. My businesses have had websites and one included a blog on the current state of the law relating to asbestosis. I use the Internet daily for information purposes and to stay in touch with family.

I first attended college beginning in 1979 after a stint in the Marine Corps. Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge, Louisiana is where I obtained a B. S. in Economics in three and one-half years. Afterwards I attended the LSU Law Center until May of 1986 when I graduated with a Jurist Doctorate Degree. I am currently attending CSUSM. I have been accepted for the single subject credential program beginning in the fall of 2009 in mathematics. I expect to obtain a credential to teach high school mathematics. During the last semester classes I observed over 34 hours of classroom experiences which sharply guided my decision to enter the high school level credential program.

Hopefully through this class I will obtain more of the skills necessary to become a fantastic teacher. Although the computer has been a large part of my life up until this point I hope that this class will expand my abilities in the applications which are useful in mathematics teaching. My blog contains a picture of a celebrant of Mardi Gras (me) as an example of how different my background is compared to others in this class and area. The forgoing picture is another example of the fun we have at Mardi Gras.
Cajun_carlsbad

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on being accepted into the single-subject credential program. I find it very inspiring that you decided to make a career change after already have accomplished so much in your life, both academically and professionally. It wonderful that you have a passion for what you career you have chosen. I really enjoyed viewing the pictures that you included in your blog. What fun! Does Mardi Gras have any specific significance to you, your family, or your culture? I will look forward to visiting your interesting blog in the future. Also, what does "transplanted Cajun" mean?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congradulations on your acceptance!
    It is nice to see people from my generation chnging careers. What is going on in the your pictures? It looks fun and interesting.
    Are there any good multicultural books on the Cagun people and their culture?
    I visited New Orleans on a shoe string budget in 1975, but I wouldn't trade that experience for a fancier trip. I especially enjoyed all the clubs with Blues music and the food. I was amazed how big the Mississippi river was and how much work was taking place on it.
    I have always wanted to revisit the city.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rindy Boyer,

    Mardi Gras is the last major celebration in Cajun/Catholic culture which culminates on the day before Ash Wednesday which is the beginning of the Lenten period for Catholics. We usually do extra penance during the period between Ash Wednesday and Easter. Many pray extra or give up a luxury like drinking or partying in an fashion.

    By transplanted cajun I am stating that this area where I call home now, Carlsbad, CA., is not the place of my origin. Southwest Louisiana will always be a home for me. However I prefer the weather and activities in my new home area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. bonniboop,

    I can not say that I know a comprehensive book but a good place to start is to Google the "Acadians" and you receive directions to a multitude of sites which provide some good information.

    ReplyDelete
  5. well it was def nice meeting you...ive been to lsu a couple of time for swimming...its a pretty great school and people there are a lot friendlier than other part of the south. I love their culture and of course the celebration of Mardi Gras is a timeless celebration. I've seen the effects of what katrina did to your beautiful state and it is heartbreaking that this country will allow the state of La to remain in its current condition. hopefully things will get done relatively soon. great having you in this class, hope to find out about u more and more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And the pitiful thing is that the hurricane last year created almost as much damage around the state without the same number of deaths. People were not able to use their houses for weeks. My daughter attending LSU was not able to use her apartment for three weeks. People in North Louisiana lost their houses and were without electricity for over a month but no one nationally heard about this devastation. I will let you know what comes of the research I do tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey did you add your ideas for the wiki already?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a few questions as I went through your self-introduction. The above "conversations" help answer my questions. You have amazing experiences.

    Rong-Ji

    ReplyDelete